Introducing the All-New 2015 Jeep® Renegade
March 19, 2014
The all-new 2015 Jeep® Renegade, which made its debut at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, will expand the brand’s global vehicle lineup by entering the growing small SUV segment while staying true to the adventurous lifestyle the Jeep brand is known for.
The Renegade will deliver a unique combination of best-in-class off-road capability, open-air freedom and convenience, a segment-first nine-speed automatic transmission that contributes to outstanding on-road and off-road driving dynamics, fuel-efficient engines, world-class refinement, and a host of innovative safety and advanced technology offerings. The result is an efficient vehicle created to attract youthful and adventurous customers around the world to the Jeep brand.
“The all-new 2015 Jeep Renegade expands the brand’s product portfolio and targets the rapidly expanding small SUV segment around the globe with benchmark levels of efficiency and driving dynamics, while at the same time delivering best-in-class 4×4 capability that customers expect from Jeep,” Mike Manley, President and CEO—Jeep Brand, said. “Renegade symbolizes the brand’s renowned American design, ingenuity and innovation, marking the Jeep brand’s first entry into the small SUV segment in more than 100 markets around the globe.”
2015 Jeep Renegade – Specifications
Best-in-class off-road capability thanks to two all-new 4×4 systems
Leveraging 4×4 technology from the all-new Jeep Cherokee, the all-new Renegade will offer two of the most advanced and intelligent 4×4 systems in its class, all to deliver best-in-class off-road capability. Both systems can provide up to 100 percent of the engine’s available torque to the ground, through any wheel, for optimal grip.
• Jeep Active Drive is a full-time 4×4 system.
• Jeep Active Drive Low is a class-exclusive full-time 4×4 system with 20:1 crawl ratio.
Innovation also is at the forefront of any new Jeep vehicle, and the Renegade is the first small SUV to feature a disconnecting rear axle and power take-off unit (PTU)—all to provide the Renegade 4×4 models with enhanced fuel economy. The system instantly engages when 4×4 traction is needed.
Both Jeep Active Drive and Active Drive Low 4×4 systems include the Jeep Selec-Terrain system, providing up to five modes (Auto, Snow, Sand and Mud modes, plus exclusive Rock mode on the Trailhawk model) for the best four-wheel-drive performance on- or off-road and in any weather condition.
Trail Rated: Renegade Trailhawk 4×4 model
For customers who demand the most off-road capability from their Jeep vehicles, the Renegade Trailhawk model delivers best-in-class Trail Rated 4×4 capability with:
• Standard Jeep Active Drive Low (20:1 crawl ratio)
• Selec-Terrain system with exclusive Rock mode
• Increased ride height 20 mm (0.8 inches)
• Skid plates, and red front and rear tow hooks
• Unique fascias deliver 30.5 degree approach, 25.7 degree breakover and 34.3 degree departure angles
• 17-inch all-terrain tires
• Up to 205 mm (8.1 inches) of wheel articulation
• Hill-descent Control
• Up to 480 mm (19 inches) of water fording
• Up to 1,500 kg (3,300-lb.) towing capability with MultiJet II diesel engine and 907 kg (2,000-lb.) towing capability with 2.4-liter Tigershark engine, with available tow package
A global Jeep design for a rapidly growing global brand
From the start, Jeep designers knew the Renegade would need to deliver best-in-class off-road capability with city-sized proportions that exuded the brand’s rugged style while at the same time enhancing versatility, maneuverability and style. Additionally designers were tasked to create an all-new SUV that would symbolize the brand’s renowned American design and ingenuity, as it would mark the Jeep brand’s first entry into the small SUV segment in more than 100 markets around the globe. Last, Renegade had to offer the open-air freedom that dates back to its 1941 roots with the Willys MB Jeep.
The result is the all-new 2015 Renegade, a vehicle that builds on the Jeep Wrangler’s powerful stance, and features fresh new styling with rugged body forms and aggressive proportions that enable best-in-class approach and departure angles purposely designed to deliver best-in-class off-road capability. And for segment-exclusive panoramic views, two available My Sky open-air roof panel systems conveniently stow to provide passengers open-air freedom with ease.
All-new interior exudes a rugged, energetic appearance
The Renegade interior features a rugged and energetic appearance that builds upon Jeep’s legendary brand heritage. The SUV’s precisely crafted detail, innovative and high-quality color and material appointments, state-of-the-art technology, and clever storage features draw inspiration from contemporary extreme sports gear and lifestyles.
Major interior surfaces such as the sculpted soft-touch instrument panel are intersected with bold functional elements like the passenger grab handle – indispensable for off-road adventures and borrowed from its big brother, the legendary Jeep Wrangler.
The interior of the all-new 2015 Jeep Renegade has a distinctive form language which Jeep designers have titled “Tek-Tonic.” This new design theme is defined by the intersections of soft and tactile forms with rugged and functional details. Major surfaces such as the sculpted soft-touch instrument panel are intersected with bold functional elements like the passenger grab handle – indispensable for off-road adventures and borrowed from its big brother, the legendary Jeep Wrangler. Unique “protective clamp fasteners,” anodized design accents and inspired colors are derived from extreme sports equipment, while the newly familiar “X” shapes inspired by its roof and tail lamps add to Renegade’s Tek-Tonic interior look. And to make sure all of the needed passenger gear fits, the Renegade is designed with an efficient and flexible interior package that includes a removable, reversible and height-adjustable cargo floor panel and fold-forward front-passenger seat.
My Sky: continuing Jeep open-air freedom since 1941
Keeping the tradition of the legendary 1941 Willys MB Jeep, the all-new Renegade offers open-air freedom with two available My Sky open-air roof systems. With a manual removable, or removable with premium power tilt/slide feature, the segment-exclusive My Sky roof-panel systems quickly bring the outdoors inside. Designed for convenience, the honeycomb fiberglass polyurethane roof panels are lightweight and stow neatly in the rear cargo area. For added design detail, both My Sky roof systems feature a debossed “X” stamped into the roof that exude strength and play on the brand’s utilitarian history.
Best-in-class off-road capability with world-class on-road driving dynamics
Designed and engineered to first and foremost deliver legendary Jeep 4×4 capability, the Renegade is the first small SUV from FCA US LLC to use the all-new “small-wide 4×4 architecture.” With its fully independent suspension capable of up to 8.1 inches (205 mm) of wheel articulation and 8.7 inches (220 mm) of ground clearance (Trailhawk), Renegade raises the bar in the small SUV segment with best-in-class off-road capability. Extensive use of advanced steels, composites and advanced computer-impact simulations enable the Renegade’s architecture to deliver world-class torsional stiffness and Jeep brand’s durability required for Trail Rated adventures.
The Renegade is the first Jeep vehicle to integrate a Koni brand frequency selective damping (FSD) front- and rear-strut system. This damping system enables the Renegade to deliver world-class road-holding and handling characteristics.
Designed for global markets: 16 powertrain combinations
True to the Jeep brand, the Renegade will provide customers in global markets maximum off-road capability and fuel efficiency. The Renegade will offer up to 16 strategic powertrain combinations—the most ever in a Jeep vehicle—customized to markets around the world to meet a range of performance and efficiency needs. Powertrain options include:
• Four MultiAir gasoline engine offerings
• Two MultiJet II diesel engine offerings
• Efficient and flex-fuel capable E.torQ engine from Fiat
• Emissions and fuel-saving stop-and-start technology
• Segment-first nine-speed automatic transmission
• Two manual and one dual-dry clutch transmission (DDCT) offerings
World’s first small SUV with nine-speed automatic transmission
Like the new Jeep Cherokee, the all-new Renegade has raised the bar—this time in the small SUV class—with the first available nine-speed automatic transmission. When paired with either the 2.0-liter MultiJet II diesel engine, or 2.4-liter MultiAir2 gas engine, the nine-speed transmission delivers numerous benefits customers will appreciate, including aggressive launches, smooth power delivery at highway speeds and improved fuel efficiency versus a six-speed automatic transmission.
Segment-exclusive technologies once found only on higher classed SUVs
The all-new Renegade offers technology features once found only in upper-segment vehicles, and makes them attainable to customers in the growing small SUV segment—including award-winning Uconnect Access, Uconnect touchscreens and the segment’s largest full-color instrument cluster.
• Uconnect Access: Uses embedded cellular technology to allow Renegade occupants to get directly in contact with local emergency-service dispatchers—all with the push of the 9-1-1 Assist button on the rearview mirror. Uconnect Access applies the same logic to roadside assistance. One push of the “ASSIST” button summons help directly from the Company’s roadside assistance provider or the Vehicle Customer Care Center.
Further peace of mind comes from the system’s ability to receive text messages, announce receipt of texts, identify senders and then “read” the messages aloud with Bluetooth-equipped cell phones. AOL Autos named Uconnect Access its “Technology of the Year for 2013.” (Uconnect services may vary in different markets)
• Uconnect touchscreen radio systems: Award-winning in-vehicle hands-free communication, entertainment and available navigation. Key features available on the Uconnect 5.0 and 6.5AN systems include a 5.0-inch or 6.5-inch touchscreen display, Bluetooth connectivity, single or dual-turner, radio data system capability (RDS), digital audio broadcast (DAB), HD Radio, digital media broadcasting (DMB), SiriusXM Radio, SiriusXM Travel Link, SiriusXM Travel Link, USB port and auxiliary audio jack input. (Uconnect services may vary in different markets)
• The segment’s largest full-color instrument cluster display: Filling the Renegade’s gauge cluster in front of the driver is an available 7-inch, full-color, premium multiview display, featuring a reconfigurable function that enables drivers to personalize information inside the instrument cluster. The information display is designed to visually communicate information, using graphics and text, quickly and easily.
Up to 70 advanced safety and security features
Safety and security were at the forefront in the development of the all-new Renegade, setting the stage for up to 70 available safety and security features, including the availability of Forward Collision Warning-Plus and LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus.
In addition, engineers added both active and passive safety and security features, including Blind-spot Monitoring; Rear Cross Path detection; ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines; electronic stability control (ESC) with electronic roll mitigation and seven standard air bags.
Jeep brand’s global resources
Designed in America and crafted in Italy, the 2015 Renegade continues the Jeep brand’s dedication to the global marketplace and demonstrates the depths of its available resources. The final assembly location for the Renegade will be at the Melfi Assembly Plant in Italy. The Renegade’s global portfolio of powertrain production includes the United States, Italy and Brazil.