Dodge Unleashes the Fastest Street-Legal Viper ACR, Ever!
June 4, 2015
After a five-year absence, the fastest nonvenomous snake known to man is making a comeback.
2016 Dodge Viper ACR side view
2016 Dodge Viper ACR debut video
2016 Dodge Viper ACR
An overview of 2016 Dodge Viper ACR
Dodge Viper ACR hood
Dodge Viper ACR sunset cruise
2016 Dodge Viper ACR rear view
Dodge Viper ACR tire
Dodge Viper ACR interior
Manufacturing footage of the Dodge Viper, including the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR, from the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit.
Employee Todd West (right) explains to media members and Quality Manager Brian Harris (SRT shirt) how the Net Form and Pierce machine works.
Employee Ray Nunimaker assembles one of the Viper V-10 engines at the plant.
Employees Anthony Thomas (left) and Jeremy Gonzales finish installing the windshield on a Viper.
Four robots go over every inch of each Viper to make sure every gap meets engineering and design specifications.
Employee Dave Ironside (inside vehicle) uses a flashlight to find leaks during a water test at the end of the assembly line.
Dodge and SRT Brand President and CEO Tim Kuniskis introduces the new 2016 Dodge Viper ACR at FCA US Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit.
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR, the fastest street-legal Viper track ever, promises to give enthusiasts exactly what they would expect — ultimate handling, performance and road course domination.
Originally introduced in 1999 and last available for the 2010 model year, the American Club Racer model of the iconic, hand-built American supercar, has a long-standing legacy as the ultimate street-legal track car for club racing.
“Bringing our street-legal Dodge Viper ACR back is going to arm our track enthusiasts with the ultimate weapon to dominate road courses across the country, ” said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO — Dodge and SRT Brands, FCA — North America. “This is without a doubt the best Viper ACR ever. The latest in aerodynamic, braking and tire technology will ensure its legendary performance reputation around the world.”
The new 2016 Viper ACR honors that performance legacy with significant aerodynamic and suspension upgrades, new carbon ceramic brakes with six-piston calipers and high-performance tires specifically designed for ACR. Standard equipment highlights include:
- Delivers ultimate in stopping performance with unprecedented brake fade resistance through ACR-exclusive Carbon Ceramic Matrix 15-inch two-piece rotors and six-piston front calipers from Brembo®
- Unique track suspension features 10-setting, double-adjustable, Bilstein coil-over racing shocks and unique race alignment delivering up to 3 inches of suspension height adjustment for fine-tuning corner weight
- The latest race tire compound technology with massive Kumho® Ecsta V720 high-performance tires (295/25/19 front, 355/30/19 rear), designed and developed specifically for the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR, delivers laps times that are 1.5 seconds faster than off-road only race tires
- Combination of suspension, aero treatment and ACR-specific tires delivers sustainable 1.5 g cornering during high-speed turns
- Lightweight carpet, minimal three speaker audio and manual seats designed to manage weight and maintain optimal 50/50 weight distribution
- Powered by iconic, hand-built 8.4-liter V-10 engine rated at 645 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque – the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world
- Unique Alcantara hand-crafted interior to assist driver stability under high G-loading features iconic ‘ACR’ dash badge and accent stitching
- Offers ‘1 of 1’ customization option for the ultimate personalized Viper track car
- Optional ACR Extreme Aero Package (late availability) delivers nearly 1 ton of peak downforce at top speed through massive adjustable dual-element carbon fiber rear wing, rear carbon fiber diffuser, unique SRT hood with removable louvers, detachable extension for the front splitter and additional dive planes
The Dodge brand’s hand-built American supercar will arrive in dealerships in the third quarter of the year and have a starting U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $117,895 (excluding destination and gas guzzler tax).
Hand-built in the Heart of Detroit
Tucked in a Detroit neighborhood south of the famed 8 Mile Road is the birthplace of one of the most exotic American supercars on the road today – the Dodge Viper.
The Conner Avenue Assembly Plant has been hand building the exclusive Dodge performance flagship since 1995. Through 2014, more than 24,000 Vipers have rolled off the line of the nearly 400,000-square-foot facility under the watchful eyes and dedicated hands of 64 of the most skilled auto workers in the industry. (Initially built at the New Mack Assembly Plant, approximately 30,000 Vipers have been built since it was introduced in 1992.)
“The motto of the Conner Avenue plant is ‘dedicated people building dreams’,” said Doug Gouin, Conner Avenue Assembly Plant Manager, FCA US LLC. “The plant is filled with some of the most amazing car builders in the auto industry, building a vehicle that most people can only aspire to. The workers here are craftspeople, committed to delivering the best quality vehicle possible to our customers. Some of them are Viper owners themselves, so the job becomes very personal. They know they are keepers of the Viper legacy.”